The commercial insured engaged in building construction projects purchases builders risk insurance to cover buildings and structures in the course of construction, and commercial auto insurance to cover damage to his/her automobiles and trucks. However, equipment such as bulldozers, forklifts, mobile tools, etc., is not covered by auto insurance because the equipment is not designed or licensed for road use. Nor is it covered by builders risk insurance.

Like builders risk insurance, contractor’s equipment coverage is an integral part of any construction project. The cost of this equipment varies, but larger machinery and equipment can be extremely expensive, with some worth hundreds of thousands of dollars or more. Contractor’s equipment insurance provides coverage for damage to mobile equipment, including tools and machinery, used in construction as well as in a variety of other activities. Builders risk policies do not cover such equipment, unless it is intended to be made a part of the building or structure.

Contractors, however, are not the only ones who need this insurance. Cities and towns that use mobile equipment for road maintenance and snow removal, as well as companies involved in landscaping, logging, or mining operations need insurance to protect their equipment and machinery. Even self-employed carpenters, who take on smaller jobs such as building decks, patios, screened-in porches, and the like, use tools and equipment that need to be insured.

« Back to Business

* Please do not use the contact us form to bind coverage, request policy changes or report claims. You must contact the Insurance Center at 501-223-2400 for these services.